Saturday, January 9, 2010

An Un-blissful experience and the art of expectation management


There is a new thing in town and its called Chocolate…. No don’t get me wrong. I didn’t just escape Thar desert ... I have heard of it before and fought with my parents enough, to understand the value of a bar! What I am referring to is the mushrooming industry of fine dining experiences based only on Chocolates… The premium chocolate places opening up everywhere.
To any life loving human, with the slightest of a sweet tooth, the words ‘Bliss’, ‘Chocolate’ & ‘Lounge’ can be enough to commit gastronomic hara-kiri and that is exactly what happened yesterday. The relatively plush looking ‘Bliss’ in the new Forum mall was home to us for a while yesterday. From the moment we entered, it really felt like today would be a sinful day - ready to surround us with some gorgeous Chocó-late.
BUT…. (There’s always a But around nice things)… the food sadly just fell like a limp & badly baked cake. The Gooey chocolate cake we ordered was so revolting that, my wife labeled it as Ghee... coco flavored!
The hot chocolate was insipid and tasteless and the overall experience cost us some good money. I don’t know how a spoonful of bad regular drinking chocolate in a small glass of milk can put somebody off by a hundred bucks... How can that be justifiable… the Money is for the taste right?
Not for these places… the money for them is for the experience and the décor!! There brain’s getting Gooey, I guess!!
Anyways, this is not the first time, something like this happened. I have had worse tasting food and probably spent more money on it as-well. The point actually is this mind of ours… the expectations shoot up and the food falls… hasn’t that happened to you. I am sure it has. This real life episode yesterday, reminded me of the Hit TV series ‘Top-Chef’ and one of their most awaited elimination challenges – ‘the Restaurant Wars’. I was watching the fourth season and Tom Colicchio – the most balanced judge, according to me – commented on the same thing. In this challenge, the contestants divide into two teams and each run their own restaurants for one meal. Last week, the Asian themed ‘Mai Buddha’ restaurant just fell flat, their décor & ambience blew the judge’s expectations up and the real planning on food lacked big time. Considering they had three chefs, who were experts in Asian food, they had no reason to fail at the challenge at the outset. BUT… they did.
These guys committed the cardinal mistake of believing that eyes are more important than the palette when it comes to food. Though a comparison of these chefs and the Blissful chefs of Whitefield is nothing short of sacrilege, BUT they did do the same thing. I am going to watch Top Chef next week, however, sadly I might never push the heavy doors of ‘Bliss’ ever again!
My only suggestion, that too a very humble one – Raise the food before you raise the walls. It really works! Try it out! And when you really want to have some nice chocolate…. Head to ‘Boca Grande’... in Koramangala. They work on their food first...

No comments:

Post a Comment